Sunday 19 February 2012

Recharging My Batteries


On the weekend, I recharge my batteries by doing things I can't do during the week when I have to go to work every day. My favourite activity involves scribbling and drawing, especially with bright colours. I recently treated myself to a new set of pastel pencils for just this purpose. The colours are fabulous - it is a treat to just look at them. 


They are so much fun. The colour seems to jump onto the paper at the merest touch of the pencil. I can't do any serious drawing right now because my studio is closed for the winter, but I am able to do a lot of fast 10-minute or 20-minute sketches just to keep my eye and my hand going.   


A few weekends ago, I watched a movie about a young woman in Victorian England. At this time in history, all upper class young women were taught to sketch and paint since it was considered an important accomplishment among women of "quality". The movie's heroine loved drawing and often spent time sketching the scenery or people around her. I thought about the difference between this young woman and a woman of the same class today, who would probably be more interested in her iPad than a sketch pad. I think electronic technology is great, but sometimes I think people are missing out on older methods of engaging their minds and refreshing their spirits. Long live the simple pleasures of paper and pencil and the lovely hours we spend playing with them.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I totally agree with your last paragraph. To spend endless hours texting, or tweeting or whatever seems like such a waste of time. I'm glad that when I was young, I was taught how to sew, knit, cook and garden - all things I still enjoy today (well, not so much cooking).