Sunday 5 August 2012

Precious, Precious Water


This summer will be remembered as one of the driest we have had here in Eastern Ontario in a long, long time. Day after day has been hot and sunny, and there has been no rain for weeks. I have been finding it quite difficult because the level of water in my well has gone down until it was nearly empty and I needed to get it filled twice this summer, which has never happened before. I got it filled first at the beginning of July and then again just this past weekend. I called a water transport company and the owner drove this big tanker truck into my back yard close to my well.


The water guy uncoiled this long hose and put it in the well. You can see water way down at the bottom but it was close to empty at this point. 


He attached a pump to the hose from the truck to the well. Then he turned it on.
  


The water from the truck was pumped into my well.


It didn't take long for it to fill up. The water transport guy told me he has been extremely busy this summer because so many people have needed water for their wells. Nice to know I am not alone. 


Soon the well was full. What a relief! I rejoiced when I went back in my house later and was able to fill the sink and wash dishes and have a bath and do all those things we constantly need water for but usually take for granted. What precious, precious stuff!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I didn't know that you could get a tanker to top up a low well. Hope you got the 2" of rain that we got here yesterday.

Sarah said...

Great pics of the process! Once you have experienced being without running water for even a short period of time, you realize how vital it is for so much that we do.

Knatolee said...

Wow, I hope we get some rain soon and your well woes end. Ours is still okay, knock wood!