Monday 2 May 2011

A Funny Thing Happened When I Went to Parliament on Election Night


When it is election night in Canada, I have a tradition. I walk up to the Parliament buildings and savour the excitement in the air. I passed through the Byward Market and then to Major Hill Park, where I took this picture of the east side of Parliament.


When I got to Rideau Street, close to the Chateau Laurier, these three young people approached and asked if they could interview me. They explained that their high school class was visiting from Toronto and that they were interviewing people for a project. They asked me what I thought the result of the election would be then filmed me as I responded. I said that I wasn't sure but that the NDP surge was great for our democracy. After the interview, I asked if I could take their picture. Voila!


After parting from them, I resumed my walk to Parliament. I like to enter the grounds from the east side through this gate and up the path that leads around the back of the buildings.


I walked around the back side of Parliament and took this picture of the west side of the buildings. I like the way the Peace Tower seems to be peeking over the top.


And here is Parliament from the front, with the eternal flame burning bright. It was actually rather quiet, perhaps the quiet before the storm.  

1 comment:

Ronna said...

Fabulous photos! I love how empty they are. When I'm visiting Parliament Hill, it's always teeming with people. Cool that you got interviewd. Fun post. Thanks.