Sunday 19 June 2011

Crayons and Summer


There is something about the summer that makes me feel like a kid again. And one of things that I most enjoyed when I was a kid was colouring with crayons. Recently, I bought a box of crayons when I was grocery shopping. The clerk at the checkout looked dubious and asked me if I wanted them. I guess she was worried that I had picked them up by mistake, or that they had been in my cart by mistake, or something like that. After all - what would an old lady like me want with crayons? I assured her that  - Yes, I did want them. I could see her thoughts as she packed them in my bag. She was thinking I was a dotty old bag, or I wanted them for my grandchildren, or something. But really, I just wanted to play with them, and today I did just that. 


I didn't have anything ready for Artist Trading Cards next Saturday and I decided I wanted to make some cards that had a vaguely summer theme. I wanted to enjoy feeling like a kid and use my crayons and make something bright and colourful. I got an old T-shirt and started making marks and squiggles on the fabric with the crayons.


The coloured area just grew and grew as I worked. It was a lot of fun. And I really liked the colour that resulted because it was soft yet bright, just like summer. 


I still don't know exactly what I will do with this crayoned piece of cloth, but it was a lot of fun to just squiggle and grow this big blob of colour - just like a garden. I guess I will find out what I do with it next week when I finish the cards!

2 comments:

Knatolee said...

Wow, Evlyn, it's really pretty!

Sarah said...

I would wear that shirt!! So cool.