Tuesday 26 July 2011

Bright Shiny Things and Places


This evening, I went on a small shopping expedition and noticed lots of bright shiny things en route. For example, I saw these big, bright-coloured stars in a store window. Aren't they great?


My destination? The LCBO on the corner of Rideau and King Edward. It isn't very shiny on the outside, I admit.....


...but on the inside, downstairs, it is a fabulous place. The downstairs part of the store is their Vintages section, with wines from all over the world. The store is shaped like a wheel, with a circle in the middle and small interconnected rooms around the edge. One room has Italian wine, one room has French wine, one has Canadian, one has new world wines, and so on. 


The ambiance is wonderful, with soft music, pleasant clerks (who really know about wine), and some great-looking wines, most of which I can't afford. But I did manage to pick up a nice Cotes-du-Rhone. 


The LCBO shares a parking lot with a Metro Store, where I often buy groceries. The Metro is open 24 hours - so different from the stores in the towns near my country home, which usually shut at 6 pm or earlier. I have often thought it would be interesting to try grocery shopping at this Metro at 3 a.m. I wonder if it would feel bright and shiny at that time of the morning! 


Later, I took a walk to Parliament Hill to see the annual light show on the Parliament Buildings. But the show wouldn't start until 10 pm and I didn't want to wait. It was cool enough that people were huddled near the eternal flame while they waited. The flame was certainly bright in the darkness. 


On my way back, I passed by this bronze statue and thought she looked very bright and shiny in all the headlights from the passing cars and streetlights (and my camera flash, too). Nights in the city look bright and shiny to me..... (with apologies to Joni Mitchell)!

1 comment:

Knatolee said...

I love your photos of the city! You take note of things others might walk right by, and make them beautiful and interesting. We've shopped at that Metro AND LCBO a few times over the years!