Tuesday 31 January 2012

A Vernissage at the Orange Gallery


Last Thursday (January 26th), I went to a vernissage at the Orange Gallery in the Wellington Village part of Ottawa. I was invited by an old friend and colleague, who got in touch with me to tell me that his girlfriend was having a show and saying it would be great to see me at the opening. I had never been to the Orange Gallery - as a matter of fact, I had never been to this part of Ottawa. So it was a bit of an adventure for me and, as it turned out, I was very glad I went. 


The artist is Lorena Ziraldo, and I really liked her work. I was impressed by the way she used colour and I enjoyed the subject-matter of her paintings - especially that they were about people.  


The Orange Gallery was also a pleasant surprise. It is fairly new and I thought it was a great space. Very light and spacious inside.  


As I was taking photos, I realized that there was one of those "boxes-within-boxes" kinds of experiences going on. Many of Lorena Ziraldo's paintings were about people in galleries looking at paintings. So here I was, taking pictures of people in a gallery looking at paintings of people in galleries looking at paintings. Cool!
If you get a chance to go to the Orange Gallery, I recommend it. Nice space!

2 comments:

Ronna said...

I don't know much about Ottawa but I've been to Wellington West a few times and love it. Some great restaurants. The vernissage looks like fun! I'll have to check out the Orange Gallery next time.

Sarah said...

Looks like an interesting evening! It's fun to see the crowds at gallery openings.