Monday 9 January 2012

A Wonderful Sculpture on a Riverfront Walk


It was a beautiful day, so I took a walk at lunch time on a path that follows along the Ottawa River on the Gatineau side. Lo and behold, I came across a sculpture close to the path. More amazingly, I knew the work and the sculptor who had made it. The artist is John McEwen, a Canadian sculptor whose work can be found in many places across Canada, but primarily in Toronto. My partner, Peter MacElwain, and John were friends and colleagues and Peter did some casting work for John years ago. John visited me after Peter died and gave me a photograph of Peter he had taken. So it was a delight to see one of John's pieces while I was out walking today. This is a view of the front of the sculpture, called Boat Sight (1984).  


This is a view of the "boat" from the right side. There are two wolf shapes that are part of the piece and one of them can be seen here. I like the way the Ottawa skyline on the other side of the river can be seen in the background.


This is a close-up of the wolf seen above. 


When you view the boat from the left, you can see the other wolf shape through the piece on the other side. 


This is the second wolf close-up. You can see how it is cut out of flat steel. Nice work, John! It was a wonderful treat finding it today on my walk.

5 comments:

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

It's a stunning silhouette. Ottawa/Gatineau has done a great job incorporating art into the everyday.

Ronna said...

Fabulous sculpture of that boat. Amazing photos to see all sides. Thanks.

Jenny said...

Most impressive sculpture. Thanks for sharing.

Elaine said...

Beautiful sculpture. When I saw the first photograph I thought it was an adult linking hands with a child and swinging them around! Then all was revealed. Lovely photographs.

Knatolee said...

Beautiful photos of beautiful artwork! Love these.