Thursday 22 September 2011

Dimensions - a Sculpture Exhibit


St. Brigid's Centre for the Arts and Culture is a wonderful old church building in the Bytown Market area of Ottawa. Currently, the National Capital Network of Sculptors is having a sculpture exhibition there. My apartment is very close to St. Brigid's so I thought I would walk over and visit the show this evening.  


One thing about going on a Thursday evening - it was quiet. Several of the artists were there and a few other visitors besides myself. I asked a couple of the sculptors if they would mind it I took pictures and they were quite agreeable. I liked the feeling of the room - walking in with all the white sculpture stands and some pieces standing on the floor. It was like a maze wandering around among them.


This piece ("Balance 16") by Edna Lemyre is a lot of fun. I like the penguins!


I really liked this little bear by a sculptor named Patrick Imai. He and I chatted for a while. He told me about different kinds of stone and how long it takes to carve them and polish them. It is a lot of work!


This beautiful glass piece is by a sculptor named Eiko Emori. Very delicate.


There was something quite compelling about this ceramic sculpture ("On the Bench") by Sandra Marshall. Great expression in the boy's face.


One of the sculptors was doing demonstrations of stone carving. I told him not to work too much more on this piece because there is something so interesting about the roughness of it. The colour is great. Talking to the artists at this show reminded me of one of the typical characteristics of sculptors - at least, all the sculptors I've known - and that is, they are always so passionate about the materials and the process. 

The show at St. Brigid's continues to September 25. 

2 comments:

Ronna said...

Thanks for the preview. Looks like a terrific show. Thanks for sharing.

Knatolee said...

Great show!!