Tuesday 13 September 2011

Women Posing With Cars


What is it with getting women to pose with cars? I remember when all the ads for cars used to feature a beautiful woman posing beside them. And it seems my dad imitated this by taking a picture of my mother posing beside the car whenever he bought a new one. During the course of working on my photo scanning project, I found several pics of my mother standing beside some new car - like this one, where she is standing beside a 1950-something Mercury. 


Here she is again, standing beside another car. I think this photo was taken a year or so later. 


Flash forward many years - the tradition continued with a new generation. Here is yours truly, wearing a really ugly denim jumper (it looks like a big sack), posing beside the 1974 MGB that Peter and I owned about 20 years ago. It was a great little car and we had a lot of fun bombing around in it. Ah, the memories! I guess as long as people continue to buy cars, men will take pictures of women posing beside them, for some strange reason or other.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Great theme! I love the title of this post. It would be neat to have a site with themed photo submissions and see everyone's photos of cars with women posing next to them!

Evlyn said...

Sarah - that's a great idea to have a site with photos of women posing with cars. I would love to do it (but not sure how).

Marilyn said...

I remember dad always bringing home a new car - every year it would seem. He was so proud and I love the pics of our mom - she looks so happy. Regarding your photo with the MGB it's one of my favorites. Love the hair and the jumper - very hippieish!

Knatolee said...

Hey, I had a sack dress like that 20 years ago! :) Love the car photos! My Dad had a wagon with a giant cigarette on top, back when he worked for Rothmans in the 1950s. There are lots of pics of my Mum posing with it! :)

Maria Wegner said...

Hm, I suppose cars and women just mix well. Well, it makes a good memory. Pics like that provide an idea of how the era was like back then, more or less.

Erwin Calverley said...

This car is an excellent choice! This is one of the cars that make use of its space effectively. The way the interior is arranged makes up for the common problem with these kinds of cars in interior space. And yes, the large storage compartment is always a welcome feature! Indeed, you started the year right, and I hope it ends well too! :)

Regards,
Erwin