Wednesday 12 October 2011

Flying to Toronto


Last Friday, I flew to Toronto to visit my family for Thanksgiving. I love flying, the plane taking off, the sensation of cruising through the air, and looking out the window at the world below. It was a beautiful clear day and I could see miniature houses and fields and boats on the river like toys scattered across the landscape.


I flew on Porter Airlines, my favourite airline - the most civilized way to fly. Porter lands at the Island Airport close to downtown Toronto. Just as the plane was approaching the airstrip, I took this picture of the wheels coming down in preparation for landing, with a boat in the distance on the lake close to the harbour. The shadow of the plane is on the water, just under the wheels. 


The passengers take a ferry from the Island Airport to the mainland - another fun part of the trip. Of course, I had to take the usual tourist pictures of the Toronto skyline while riding across on the ferry. It is de rigueur!


My son Brian met me at the ferry terminal on the mainland. Since it was such a beautiful day, we decided to go for lunch at an outdoor patio. It was so warm I insisted on sitting under an umbrella. 


I ordered the Beef Boxty with a delicious salad. Yum!


Brian had a club sandwich with fries (I sampled some of the fries - they were good). 


And to accompany lunch, a glass of the restaurant's special Harvest Beer. Wow! Great fare on an unusually hot (for October 7) afternoon in downtown Toronto after my flight from Ottawa. Great start to my Thanksgiving celebrations!

2 comments:

Ronna said...

What a great, balmy weekend to be in the Big Smoke! Looks like you had fun.

Knatolee said...

I've heard great things bout Porter. Gordon used to fly them as much as possible when he travelled on business. Looks like you had a lovely Thanksgiving!