Sunday 30 October 2011

More About Planting Bulbs


Last week, as I was walking past Major's Hill Park in Ottawa, I saw workers in the park doing the very thing I had been doing (on a much smaller scale) in my flower garden at home. They were planting bulbs in readiness for the long winter and then, the Tulip Festival in Ottawa in the spring. Look at all the bulbs this guy was preparing to plant! 


There was a whole crew of workers planting bulbs. Quite a job. I usually get tired after planting 50 or 60 of them, but these guys were planting hundreds. Mind you, it is their job and they get paid to do it. Then I wondered, would that be a cool job to have? Would it beat sitting at a desk staring at a computer all day? 


The neat thing about planting bulbs for a living would be knowing that your work would result in scenes like this. I took this photo last May 2011 when the bulbs planted in October 2010 had bloomed. And now, after seeing the workers planting bulbs last week, I can look forward to the tulips blooming 6 months from now. What a lovely thought. Thanks guys!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What a great juxtaposition of the bulbs and the half-a-year-away results! I wonder if there is a single landscape designer who tells them which colours go in the pattern? Now THAT would be a cool job! :)