Thursday 27 October 2011

Hallowe'en Decorations - Tasteful and Otherwise!


Hallowe'en is such a great time of year. Many stores get into the spirit of things, decorating with ghosties and goblins and such. Everyday, I pass by a rather upscale haute couture fashion house called Richard Robinson, and even they have decorated for Hallowe'en. They have masks in the windows - I guess they are designer masks! 


They look like they are made of paper mache, bits of cloth and other mixed media. Lots of bright colours in this one.


They are so tastefully spooky. Like something you would wear to a masked ball (with your diamonds and fur and evening gown) rather than to go trick or treating. 


And now for something completely different - in a much less upscale (almost downscale, so to speak) area of the Byward Market, I saw this really brightly-lit up house with all sorts of kitschy Hallowe'en decorations out front. I thought this figure was particularly strange, with lightbulbs in his eyes. 


As you can see, the house has all sorts of lights and pumpkins and other tacky stuff. I loved it! Such a contrast to the masks in the windows at Richard Robinson. So the question is, tasteful or tacky? Which should Hallowe'en be? 

3 comments:

Ronna said...

Tacky! I think it's the tackiest holiday...right up there with tacky Christmas decorations.

Sarah said...

Ooooh - I love the light bulb eyes!!

Knatolee said...

I have to say, I am all for tacky at Hallowe'en!!