Monday 5 March 2012

On the Waterfront


When I was in Toronto last week to attend a convention, I stayed at a hotel right on the waterfront of Lake Ontario. This was the view out my window. I could see the lake and some boats, and I could also see a lot of construction -  many new condominiums are being built in this area. People want to live on the waterfront. I would too, if I could afford it (in other words, if I was a billionaire).


The weather wasn't great but I went out for walks when I could - usually during lunch breaks (it was a busy convention). I took several pictures of this boat, which is actually a restaurant - Captain John's Restaurant.


I was told by someone who had eaten there that Captain John's was a really awful restaurant with terrible food and bad service. I must admit, this sign for the restaurant didn't inspire confidence in the quality of the place. It was so tacky, I had to take a picture of it.


From the front, the prow of a boat looks quite dramatic. 


On another part of the waterfront, I saw this rather charming "showboat". There were a lot of boats for tourists here. I imagine that, in the summer, they would be quite busy, but it was rather nice to see them on this cold day, when there was no-one around and everything was calm.  


This fish was one of a whole school embedded in the sidewalk in front of Queen's Quay Terminal, a rather posh little shopping centre on the waterfront. These fish are made of metal and are little artworks in themselves. They are life-size and almost look like they were fossilized there. Very appropriate for the waterfront!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

It was worth braving the cold. That fish 'fossil' is wonderful.

Sarah said...

Great photos - I love the close up of the ship's front!