Monday 30 January 2012

Wow! Wild Turkeys!


Two of my fellow bloggers, Ronna and Natalie, have posted blogs about seeing wild turkeys recently. Now it is my turn. I was driving down the road from my home this past Sunday (going to town to get some more medicine for my wretched cold - all sympathy welcome!) when I saw something in my neighbour's field. I came to a screeching halt (one of the advantages of driving in the country is that you can stop in the middle of the road and not worry because there is no-one behind you) and realized it was a flock of wild turkeys. There must have been about 20 of them. 


I got out of the car to see if I could get closer and take better pictures. But they were skittish and started to run away............. 


..............leaving only one straggler. This is the first time I have seen such a large group of them close to my home. Ah, the excitement of country life!

7 comments:

Ronna said...

Great wild turkey pix. They are skitterish so well done!!

Elaine said...

Great photos, what a sight! Sorry to hear about your cold. Have you ever tried fenugreek seeds - they have to be boiled for a couple of minutes, strain off the seeds, and then drink the resulting tea? We have been using it this winter to fight off the colds which our young grandson keeps bringing to us (we have him before and after school every day). Apparently there is some scientific evidence to back it up. It certainly reducing the amount of time the cold affects us and helps get rid of that awful congestion.

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

I so enjoy the wild turkeys in our area too. During the warmer months you can hear their "gobble, gobble, gobble." out in the surrounding fields. I love life int he country!

Jenny said...

We've been seeing more wild turkeys in our neighbourhood, too. It's always a special event to spot them. I'm surprised how well they are establishing themselves given all the predators in the area. Maybe they are smarter than we think. Great pics.

Sarah said...

I wonder if the wild turkeys are having a population boom since you and your fellow bloggers are seeing them this year? Great photos - I really like the one of them running.

Knatolee said...

Great pics, Evlyn!! I saw some yesterday while I was out driving. I never get tired of that. THey are so cool!

Evlyn said...

Thanks everyone for liking these pics. I must admit I took a lot to get a few decent ones.
Elaine, thanks for the idea for fenugreek seeds. It sounds worthwhile trying (anything at this point - I am tired of being congested).
Sarah - maybe they are having a population boom. Lots of people seem to have seen them.