Tuesday 26 April 2011

A Visit to the Science Centre


This past Easter weekend, I visited my grandchildren in Toronto (oh yes, and my son Brian and my daughter Sarah too!). On Friday, Brian and I and his two boys, Max (who is 3) and Charlie (1) made an expedition to the Science Centre. The parking lot was a zoo and when we finally found a parking spot, we had to walk quite a way to the entrance. It was still rather cold -- winter coat weather!  


I had not been to the Science Centre for ages. There is a new area called Kidspace that has a number of interactive activities for very young children. It was a mob scene with dozens of kids and parents. Max is putting a ball on a roller-coaster-like ramp, that wound around and up and down and all over. Great fun! I tried it myself a couple of times.


On our way back, we walked through a great hall which had this marvelous installation consisting of hundreds of blue squares attached to suspended poles. They twirled around in the air and were fascinating to watch.


One corridor had a long measuring tape, showing events in the history of the universe. There were rocks on display that corresponded to the time on the tape. Max is standing beside a rock that is 1480 million years old. Mind-stretching!

1 comment:

Knatolee said...

Oh my, the Science Centre was one of my very favourite places, growing up in Toronto. That brings back memories!