Tuesday 10 May 2011

Nights in the City Look Pretty To Me


There are lots of great murals on the sides of buildings all over the Byward Market area of Ottawa. I saw this one while walking to a store this evening, taking a different route than usual. Not sure what it is all about, but I found the painting of the woman quite amazing.  


Later, I passed by a Giant Tiger store - the original store for the Giant Tiger chain (that's what they claim on the sign). It is in an old building on George Street, with three floors of Giant Tiger merchandise. I have shopped there many times in the past and always like how squeaky the floors are and how low tech everything feels - like an old Woolworth's Store.


I remembered that there are murals just inside the front doors of the Giant Tiger store. They were closing for the night, but I asked the guy at the front door if I could take pictures of the murals. The light wasn't great but you get the picture (ha ha).


This mural is across from the other one and shows the Byward Market back at the beginning of the 20th century.



On my way home, I saw this cute sign and had to stop and take a picture of it. Terrific graphic of the women in black dresses. Makes me want to try their ice cream some time.



No comments: