Wednesday 20 July 2011

Cooling Off Many, Many Years Ago


I recently bought a special scanner for photographs and have begun a project to digitize several shoe-boxes full of old pictures. Many people I know have great old photos like this and feel like I do - it would be a shame to lose them all to time and decay. I have found dozens of pictures of my family doing summer things, cooling off at the lake in hot weather (just like we are having now). This photograph was taken at a place called Scotties Island on the Lake of the Woods in Northwestern Ontario when I was about 6 or 7 years old. I am on the left, my sister Marilyn is on the right, and our brother Paul is in the middle. Don't you love Paul's hat?  


When I was a child, my mother used to drive us to a place called Rabbit Lake so we could go swimming on hot summer days. This is me, climbing up (or down?) the ladder. And in the background is our car. Wish I could remember what year it was. But I do remember that all our cars had big fins in those days - emulating rocket ships. And I remember that bathing suits were heavy affairs because they didn't have the light nylon materials they have today. But the lake was clear and refreshing. Wish I were there now - I would be in swimming in a flash!

1 comment:

frannie said...

I love those old photos, sweet ones of you as a kid. The car looks like a '58 or '59 Ford, either Meteor or Fairlane. I used to be able to name them all but now they all look alike.