Sunday 3 July 2011

A Trip to the Royal Ontario Museum


This past long weekend, I went to Toronto to visit my son Brian and my daughter Sarah. On Canada Day (Friday June 1st), Brian and I took my grandson Max to the Royal Ontario Museum. This was a first visit to the ROM for Max, who is 3 and 1/2 years old. 


We asked Max if he would like to see some dinosaurs and, not surprisingly, he said yes. So Brian and Max and I walked around viewing the stegosaurs and the allosaurs and all the other kinds of dinosaurs (he knew their names better than I do). Here are Brian and Max reaching up to some of these ancient creatures.


Oooohh! I wouldn't have wanted to get anywhere near this fellow (when he was alive). What big teeth you have!!!


After leaving the dinosaurs and seeing several other parts of the museum, we spent some time in the "Discovery" area, which has lots of hands-on activities for kids (big and small). One of the things you can do is try on costumes from different periods in history. (If you look up at the top right of the picture, you can see a sign that says "Try it on.") Brian tried on this helmet.


Then Max tried it on. Boys will be boys, especially when it comes to warriors and armour and swords and stuff!


Max also tried on a medieval cape and shield. To the manner born!

But I think Max's favourite costume was this dinosaur tail, which he wore for quite a while, while Brian and I sat and rested. Max happily found some books to read and seemed to forget he was wearing a dinosaur tail. All just part of the fun of a visit to the ROM.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow! I'm amazed it wasn't more crowded at the R.O.M. Looks like you had a lot of fun!!

Knatolee said...

Lucky Max! I have so many happy memories of visiting the ROM when I was growing up in Toronto. And when I was at design school, we often went there for one of our drawing classes. Max is a cutie!